Tuesday 16 May 2017

Scale Research

Scale

Hello guys,
Today I am going to talk about something important towards my creature art project and it is SCALE.
Scale is really important when you want to create the creature since it shows the viewer how big or small the creature can look like towards a human being.

Kaiju


Please press the image to see all the creatures

When you hear the word Kaiju, everybody thinks of one monster which is the most popular monster in the world Godzilla.  Kaiju is a Japanese film genre based on monsters like Godzilla and here are all of them in one picture next to the statue of liberty. As you can see here, the artist used the statue of liberty as a scale for the viewer to see how huge these monsters can be.  This is useful information since it showed me how scaling works. 

Total War Warhammer



Image link

While I was researching about scaling I found the scaling for a popular game called Total War Warhammer.  The scaling shows a mythical beast called the Griffon and it is compared to a horse, human and a demi-griffon.  The first picture just shows the concept design of the griffon.  Although I will not be making the scaling of my creatures like this, it is still helpful for me to look at other types of scaling in the industry.  



Image Link

Here are some creature art concepts from the game.  I found those creatures interesting since they have armour on them which makes them look fierce.  Moreover, the second creature caught my eyes because it is a mixture of a lot of animals.  It has a tiger like body, dragon like wings and horns which is unique.  The reason I added these as research too because of how the artist drew the details of the creature's face and armour to give it more personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment