Saturday 3 June 2017

What is an MMORPG

What is an MMORPG?

Hello guys,

Today I am going to talk about the development of MMORPGs adn where they came from.  MMO's where first inspired by a Role Playing Game called Dungeons and Dragons which was made in the 1970's.  Moreover, I am going to show you which MMOs inspired me to create my creatures for my own MMO game.
 



This is the logo of the Dungeons and Dragons RPG game and a concept art for the game.  It was first published in 1974 by Tactical Studies Rule and made by Gary Gygax.  The game was really popular in the past and it is still running strong in the present time since there are online and board games for it that are still popular among people. 



MMORPG's are refereed to as Massively Online Multiplayer Games and the first to be made was a game called Ultima Online in 1997 and it was the first successful game in its genre!  Ultima Online got inspiration from Dungeons and Dragons by taking elements from it and adding its own elements to make a game were players can play together in a massive world filled with fantasy.



Here is a picture of the gameplay of Ultima online and as you can see it looks old because of its pixelised and out dated graphics.  





World of Warcraft is the most well known MMORPG in the world with a huge following with over 10 million players around the world including myself.  Although people have to pay monthly and buy every expansion of the game, they still play it and invest a huge amount of time in it.  World of Warcraft was developed and made by a company named Blizzard.  The second picture shows the gameplay of the game.  These graphics are considered outdated since it is an old game although Blizzard managed to develop it and make it look a lot better than now.  I chose this picture since it shows a huge number of players trying to kill a boss (Creature) together.






Guild Wars 2 is an MMO I mentioned before since Kekai Kotaki, the concept artist behind the game inspired me in creating this creature art project.  Guild wars 2 is made by NCsoft and Arenanet and it is my favourite MMO of all time since it was my first MMO I played and its art inspires me to create my own work.  Guild Wars 2 is a newer game than World of Warcraft since WoW was made in 2004 while GW2 was made in 2012 as you can see the graphics difference.  

This was really useful information to me since I never knew what was the first MMO ever made and from where it was inspired which broadened my information about games in general.








No comments:

Post a Comment